Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the phi iota alpha hazing page. This article needs additional citations for verification.
This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. Please remove or replace such wording and instead of making proclamations about a subject’s importance, use facts and attribution to demonstrate that importance. Mission statement Alpha Phi is a sisterhood of women supporting one another in lifelong achievement. 170 active chapters and over 200,000 initiated members.
Alpha Phi is a member of the National Panhellenic Conference, the governing council of 26 women’s fraternities. Its own national headquarters are located in Evanston, Illinois. Four founders of Alpha Phi, reunited at a national convention in 1922: Clara Bradley Burdette, Jane Sara Higham, Louise Shepard Hancock, and Clara Sittser Williams. Michaels Atchison – She served as a professor at several universities. Like many other women’s fraternities, Alpha Phi recognizes multiple types of symbols, with the Ivy Leaf as their primary symbol. The fraternity’s official colors are bordeaux and silver. Alpha Phi’s public motto is “union hand in hand”.
According to Alexandra Robbins it also has a “secret” motto, “A. Like other greek life organizations, Alpha Phi has created an individual symbol for its organization that they felt was meaningful, and as the fraternity states, “Alpha Phi was the first women’s organization to use Greek letters as an emblem. Originally there was no standard badge. Until 1906 when the current badge was adopted, each member went to the jeweler of her choice to have her pin designed. These pins are worn by international officers, and presidents of college chapters while they are serving their reign as president. In 1898 the Fraternity adopted a special badge to honor her newest members. The badge they selected is in the shape of an ivy leaf, set in silver pewter.
An ever-growing vine, the ivy symbolizes the growth of the Alpha Phi sisterhood. The first fifty-year pins, silver circles with red stones, were presented at the 42nd Convention in 1958 to several alumnae who had given significant service to the fraternity for 50 years or more. These pins are replicas of the pins presented to the six living founders at the Fraternity’s Fiftieth Anniversary Convention in 1922. This section needs additional citations for verification.